Friday, April 27, 2012

Hair grease on Natural Hair?


I must admit, I really do miss my big chop super short cut. I miss the attention I would get even if was a negative or positive comment from people and even family members, the "OMG you are sooo Brave" phrases, and the easiness (if that is a word lol) of doing my hair everyday, get up and go, and I wouldn't have to spend 45 minutes just to detangle my hair on wash days now that my hair is longer.... ahhh. BUT I must say that I did become frustrated because as my hair was growing from my cut, to this now, "awkward growth" it can get frustrating on hair products to use, since there are soo many out there to chose from.

Alot of naturals, who stamp themselves as NATURAL only use 100% natural products. But have you notice that most natural hair products are sooooo expensive??

Through all this frustration I was having, I had to take a breather and really take it slow to listen to my hair. I decided to test some of these "NON-natural" hair products I use to use back in my relaxed days to give it a test because this sista right heyre aint got money like that lol. 

I really don't like the hair type system with hair because I have soo many textures going on in the mane, but If I was to categorize it, I would have to say that my hair is in between a 3c-4b. And most naturals in this category suffer with frizzy hair! ugh. That word give me the heebie geebies! lol

Shea butter, natural pomade and oils were NOT taming my frizzes long enough and I decided to use HAIR GREASE. YEAH I DID DAT. :D

Let me just say, hair grease as a sealant after moisturizing hair is the BOMB.GOV lol! I love hair grease. Even though hair grease does has petroleum in it which we were told to "stay away from if you are natural" works way better then these natural $15-$30 hair butters/pomades on the market. And hair grease is only about $1-$5 at any local drugstore or grocery store. Very convenient.

Yes I know, Petroleum is said to not be good for natural hair because it causes a barrier over the hair strand which makes moisture hard to enter your hair cuticle to keep you hair moisturized and causes major build up, but honestly once I add moisture to my hair and then add the grease, my hair is frizz free and moisturized for at least a week, which is perfect for me anyway since my hair wash day is in a week. I have tried Shea Butter as a sealant, but my hair just ended up frizzy and dry to the touch the next day.

Now that my hair is about 5 inches long I am able to achieve the twist out game, but would suffer with super frizzy hair and my twist outs wouldn't last long. NOW that I use hair grease as my sealant, my twist out last twice as long! Here is a vid where I got the idea in the first place to even try hair grease, thanks to ladyT101 a Natural hair Youtuber I will never go back... lol I mean of course I would NEVER use hair grease on my scalp and I will follow up with a clarifying shampoo more often than before..... but what do you think??



No comments:

Post a Comment