Friday, April 13, 2012

What is "Co-Washing"?

Being natural, there are days when I feel my hair and look in the mirror and find myself saying.... "UGH" lol. Yes.... I have VERY bad hair days sometimes....
.....and that is normal. You want to have bad hair days so you can know what works for you, that is part of your journey. Most of the times of my "bad hair day sessions" are usually because my hair feels and looks dry, frizzy and tangled. Or, it may feel and look sticky and greasy. Usually this happens when I become lazy with my hair and find it looking a hot mess lol. When I have those hair moments when I just need a refresh start without having to do the shampoo process all over again, I like to co wash my hair.

Co-Washing/Conditioner Wash, is basically washing your hair the same way you would do with shampoo. It is a more moisturizing and refreshing way to restart your hair without having to add drying shampoos. Some naturals substitute shampoo wash all together with co washing and find that they have more softer and manageable, and curly hair. This is called the "no poo" or "curly girl method". I know, you are probably saying... EWWW! No shampoo wash at all.... EVER??! That is gross. It "sounds" gross, but co-washing is cleaning your hair too.... well..... let's just say.... a real low clean.

The way co washing method is the motion of your finger tips rubbing the conditioner on your scalp, which is releasing dirt and oil, at the same time moisturizing your hair with the conditioning elements inside the conditioner. Usually when you are washing your hair, you are using warm water, and warm water helps as well with releasing oils, dirt and bacteria. Now let me just say, even though co washing does NOT completely strip your hair down like a shampoo would, but when you think about it, we need to keep somewhat of the moisture in our hair to keep it moisturized right? Why do you have to strip is down??

Either way it goes, you shouldn't just knock it before you try it. You never know what treat you may be feeding off to your hair. Treat her good girl, she deserve it! :D

**Tip: What I like to do to get a extra boost in co washing is before I shower, I add my conditioner in my hair and work it in my scalp gently. ( I like to use a LOT of conditioner lol. Saturate honey!! :D) I leave the conditioner in my hair and start to do my shower thing for about 8 minutes and THEN rinse it out. The steam from the shower helps penetrate the moisture in my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment